Online marketing is a great marketing tool in this modern age when everything is turning digital including the creation of brand awareness. However, there are limitations to this method of advertising that would make people unable to fully adopt it and some of these are:
- Scam: A good image can easily be ruined by cybercriminals who are out to take advantage of unsuspecting people online. They will hack an account and ruin the brand image that had taken so long to build and all the gains that the business had achieved through the online marketing will be lost.
It is possible for a criminal to steal the identity of a business and use the credit card details to defraud millions of customers who have been relying on the business for the supply of the products the business sells. Customers who may be affected by such a scam may never trust the pharmacy or even believe that they were not working with the criminals.
More at: https://www.ogdenmarketing.com/
- Cost: Though online marketing is regarded as cheap compared to the traditional methods of advertising, the initial cost of setting up the promotion is very high. You will need desktops, servers, hardware, web designers, digital experts, hosting fee, and the maintenance of the advertising campaign.
Despite the huge cost that you will incur from the marketing, you will not be assured of immediate returns on your investment.
- Ad blockers: A business may use a lot of time and resources in coming up with an advert only for the Ad blockers to block the ads. The company would have ended up investing their money in an advert that will not reach the target audience and this will amount to huge losses.
- Internet limitations: The majority of the ads posted online will only reach less than half of the target audience. Those who prefer to use the traditional methods like televisions will not be able to view the ad and this will be a big loss to the business.
- Some of the most appropriate mediums of online marketing do not attract a huge following and one has to go for the most popular which will not be very convenient. A social platform will be popular in a certain region while little is known about it in another region. This may be limiting as some of the target audience may not be able to access the marketing campaign.
No matter how attractive an online advert is, many people will still prefer to see the product physically so that they can test if it is the right one for them. This means that online platforms are just an avenue for collecting data and people may not care so much as to where the business that is providing the info is located.
There are still a lot of people who do not know how to use the internet and the percentage may be as high as 50% in some locations. This will limit the marketing campaign to only those people who know how to use the internet.